Easy Healthy Oatmeal Squares
Flu season hit Nashville late this year and is currently in full force. I got it BAD a few weeks ago and was knocked down for awhile. I have not been that sick in forever. It has taken me almost two full weeks to recover. I discovered this recipe a few months ago and decided to try to concoct one myself when I was sick. The key ingredient is Turmeric.
Turmeric has many health benefits including reducing inflammation and fighting cancer cells. It has been used in many cultures as a go to in treating ailments such as a cold, skin issues and arthritis. To learn more about it's benefits click here.
- 2 cups of almond milk or coconut milk. (I used almond milk)
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ginger powder
- A pinch of pepper (the pepper supports in aiding the body to digest the turmeric)
- Honey or stevia to taste
- Pour the milk and spices into a small sauce pan.
- Bring to a simmer and stir often to make sure the spices mix well.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Taste after this time and if it is bitter continue to cook it a bit longer.
- Pour into a mug or glass and ENJOY!
I stumbled upon Matcha’ at a local coffee shop in Nashville a few months ago. I loved it so much that within 48 hours (thanks to Amazon Prime) I had everything I needed to make my own at home. Since then it has become a regular mid-afternoon indulgence. It doesn’t make me jittery like coffee but still gives me a great boost of energy.
Not only is Matcha yummy, rejuvenating, and pretty to look at, it’s also rich in antioxidants. In fact, one cup of Matcha has the antioxidants of 10 cups of brewed green tea. It has also been shown to boost metabolism and helps lower cholesterol and blood sugar. Seems like a no brainer, right?
You can find Matcha at health food stores or you can buy here on Amazon Prime.
-1tsp of matcha powder
-1/4 cup of boiling water
-3/4 cup of steamed almond or coconut milk
1. Place the matcha in the mug
2. Pour ¼ cup of boiling water and use a wisk to dissolve the powder
3. Steam the almond milk and pour in your mug.